Monday, 14 June 2010

Week 24 walk - Foel Ispri, overlooking Dolgellaeu & Barmouth,Mid Wales.

I returned to Wales (again) today for a lovely walk around Foel Ispri - which overlooks Dolgellaeu and Barmouth. It was as part of a multi geocache - so it took me to different parts of the mountain collecting the clues towards the final one.

The path started off quite steep, but clearly defined - which always helps and led up to a beautiful lake - which you could not see until you climbed the final hump and there it was in all its glory before you.

Talking of humps and bumps - this next door mountain has lumps & bumps everywhere.

Gorgeous views over to Cadair Idris.

The lovely lake.




After finding the first set of clues at the lake - I had to head into a forest - some of it was quite dark & scary - but other parts were quite nice and lush.

Especially the stunning ferns with the sunlight streaming down onto them.

After making it safely through the forest - I was greeted with these gorgeous views over Barmouth Estuary and the sea beyond.

The trig point at the top - you can't really see it in this photo, but below on the river is the Fairbourne wooden toll bridge - which always brings back very fond memories of a school trip to Arthog.


3 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely stunning. I think I am going to have to tackle some mountains! I haven't been mountain walking since school days!

    I love Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, you left a comment on my blog re my recent walk. We use the Pathfinder guide books and it is from one of those (Peak District, White Peak). There seemed to be several different routes all round the same area, let me know if you want the full details of ours. I tend to follow the book and Graham uses his GPS so between us we usually get there. (GPS starts at SK 004 621) I have to say the best bit of this walk, apart from the great views, was the ice-cream van halfway along!!
    I've only just realised you have this blog and have signed up to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely walk, fabulous views!

    ReplyDelete