Thursday, 8 July 2010

week 28 walk - Sissinghurst Gardens & Castle, Kent.

The reason for our trip to Kent was for me to visit Sissinghurst Castle & Gardens - which was the home of Vita Sackville West.

Sorry there are lots of photos in this post - we took over 300! Goodness knows how I will whittle this down to just 10 for my 52 walks album!
When Vita died in 1962, followed by her husband a few years later - their son handed Sissinghurst over to the National Trust in lieu of death duties. It is a very popular NT place to visit and I can see why - it was gorgeous.






One of Vita's many passions was gardening and after she bought the derelict Sissinghurst in 1932 she and Harold, her husband set about creating one the greatest gardens anywhere. The land consists of 10 separate and distinct gardens, 2 lakes and used to be a thriving farm, which her descendants are now trying to recreate with some of the old agricultural ways.

Some of the gardens are formal - others more natural full of herbs and wild flowers.


Vita lived a quite unconventional life - her sons lived with their nanny in a house in the grounds, while she and Harold had separate rooms and she had her treasured study in the castle tower.


There were flowers every where - the scents from these were divine and so uplifting.




There are photos of Vita with a gardening trug like this - I convinced myself that this is the one that she used as is is so old.



The castle tower (again)


This is Vita's study in the castle tower, where she used to write. She was a prolific writer - novels, poems, gardening books and letters. It was the beautiful letters that she wrote to Virginia Woolf and Violet Trefusis that first started my fascination with her.

There is a portrait of Violet in front of the bookcase and one of Virginia on her desk,.


On my way up the tower to see her special study. When she was alive - hardly anyone was ever allowed to enter it.

Some of her coloured glass collections on the tower staircase.


Views from the top of the tower looking towards the oast houses - I can just imagine Vita coming up here and surveying with great pride, all that she had created.


The view from the top of the tower - overlooking some of the many different gardens.


There were lots of gates and archways leading into the next garden.


This was in the white garden - a stunning collection of pure white flowers everywhere.




It is such an unusual castle as it is so tall and thin - but very striking.

There is only half of the moat which used to surround the castle left.

This was one of the most memorable days out I have ever had - I just wish that it was not so far awyay from me as I would love to return.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a simply stunning place to visit. I must look it up and add it to the places I'd love to go one day. Every bit about your day looks fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a fantastic place to visit - but to far away for me - your photos are stunning as usual.

    ReplyDelete