Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Week 46 walk - Moel Siabod, Snowdonia, North Wales

Today I climbed Moel Siabod - a lovely mountain in Snowdonia that I have never climbed before, but it has been on my 'to do' list all summer - but the weather has always beaten me - so imagine my surprise when a November day dawned clear and bright so I made the most of it and what a treat I had.

The day started here at the lake next to Plas Y Brenin with a snow capped Snowdon in the distance.

The water was like a mill pond giving a fantastic reflection of Snowdon in the water.

Even my wide angle lens - came up a treat.

The path followed a track initially through the woods, but soon emerging to give stunning views over to the Glyders.

Mountains everywhere you looked.

The hills beyoung Capel Curig are very rugged.

All the way up though was this view of Snowdon.


The clouds cleared away from Snowdon as I climbed - giving a pretty spectacular vista to watch as I went higher and higher - I love the snow covering at the top.


The sun shinning on the trig point was a welcome sight.


From the top were wide reaching views over Snowdonia - Snowdon itself had covered herself in cloud - but I had been watching her all the way up -so it was not too disappointing.


The summit was a rocky top and it was rather cold and icy here - so I had to tread carefully.

After the nice walk up a path to the summit - the route down was rather different - a bit of a scramble over rocks down quite a steep descent, all the way down to the lake at the bottom - but it was fun and the sun had been facing this side all day - so there was no ice to slip on.

On the way down I came across this old deserted slate mine. Here were these old cabins made from slate - not just any old slate - but huge slabs of it - even the roof was made using it. The far end was wide open giving fantastic views over the valley. The sun comes up watching this way - so it must be a fantastic sight at sun rise - I am nearly tempted to camp out one night just to experience it.

How on earth do these huge slabs stay at such an angle?

A slate front door anyone?


All too soon the day came to an end - but how lucky I was - a great new mountain that I had not walked up before, fab views all over Snowdonia and the weather - a sunny warm day in November - better than I had over the summer! I am sure that I will be coming back here again.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful photos Deb as always. I love that little slate cabin.

    ReplyDelete