Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Week 18 walk - around Kendal, Cumbria

Today I drove up to Kendal, in preparation for a walking holiday in the Lake District. I thought it would be nice to break up the journey, explore somewhere new and pick up a few geocaches on the way. 


I arrived in Kendal at 11.00hrs and set off on a nice circular walk along an old canal bed, eventually meeting up with the River Kent and following it back into Kendal. There were quite a few bridges  'to nowhere' like this one on the route. Once the canal disappeared - there was no need for the bridges - so they were just abandoned and now stand alone in fields with just sheep for company. 

 Another bridge to nowhere and nothing running underneath it - but you can clearly see where the canal used to run.
 The dried up canal bed on the left of the photo. Everywhere looks nice and lush.

 My first glimpse of the Lakeland Fells (in the distance!) I got so excited that I took loads of photos like this - yet you can hardly see the distant hills.


This is where I  joined up with the River Kent. Apparently it is one of the fastest flowing rivers in the UK - it was very shallow today, but you can see see where the force of the water has gouged out little sideways ravines along the banks. 


 A suspension bridge taking me from one side of the river to the side I needed to be on.
 It really was a beautiful walk.
 And dotted with some really old bridges.

 In the evening - I walked into Kendal town centre and admired even more bridges!




No comments:

Post a Comment