Sunday, 30 May 2010

Week 22 - Saltaire, West Yorkshire


This week's walk took me to a whole new County that I have never visited before - Yorkshire. I was attending a wedding of a family friend and was delighted to finally visit the area. Today's walk was not an energetic one, as I had my mother with me, so it was a gentle stroll around Salt's Mill at Saltaire.

I am afraid that Blogger playing up at the moment and I have had to put up all these photos again as the last lot did not work. So they are not in the order I intended as I have run out of time!
Sir Titus Salt was an enterprising mill owner who wanted to create much better working & living conditions than were available in Bradford at the time. He built a new mill, decent housing, shops, allotments, schools and entertainment venues - but no pubs.

It is amazing that the whole village including the mill and facilities have survived intact and it has now been awarded World Heritage status to maintain its uniqueness.

The houses ranged from small terraced houses for the lower workers, to bigger terraced house and even semi-detached houses for the managers





Sir Titus Salt chose the site for his new venture carefully - it was right next to a canal & railway for excellent transport links. It was also next to a river, but this was not forceful enough to provide enough power for the factory, but it did make a nice setting for the village park.





There was quite a few people milling around when we arrived and who should we see but David Cameron, also on a flying visit to Salts Mill.


No comments:

Post a Comment